Thursday, September 22, 2011

Games, Sugar, Circuses

Happy Thursday!  It's almost the weekend!

Last night Ty had another game at home.  They played a team from Holland (I think) that they had played earlier in the season.  THEY WON! YAY.  Tyrel had around 14 points and a handful of assists.  It's still weird to see him out there with "13" on his jersey instead of "14".  I brought a couple of French books with me to look through before the game.  I'm hoping I'll naturally absorb some French just by being around it...but I doubt that's going to happen.  Anyways, a lot of people associated with the team come talk to me during the games and it's really nice to feel so welcomed here.  One guy associated with the team introduced me to his little daughter (probably around 7 or 8...I'm bad at guessing ages, though) and she was soo cute.  It was kind of funny because I don't know much French and she doesn't know a whole lot of English so we had to use very basic phrases (all I can do).  During the game she was sitting' next to a friend and they were practicing phrases like "My name is..." and "How are you"; so cute!  I'm so used to being around people and not being able to understand a single word they say that when I actually DO hear someone speaking English my ears perk right up.  I could probably pick up English being spoken a mile away.

I'm pretty excited because I get to come home in November for two weeks!  My brother is having a wedding reception and I couldn't be happier that I'll be able to go.  I'm sad I'll have to leave Ty here by himself, though.  I might have to cook up some meals and freeze them so he doesn't have to survive on sandwiches alone.  He'll also need to learn how to use the washing machine.  Poor guy.  

Anyways, I found powder sugar at the store last time we went.  Now you'll know why I had a hard time finding it.


That box is compared to a normal-sized tobasco bottle.  I think that's enough powder sugar to be able to frost one whole cupcake ;] haha You'd think I'd be able to find an industrial-sized one over here with all the waffles they eat.  I did see a huge bag of table salt the size of a large dog food bag.  Not really sure why a person would buy that much salt at one time.

Tonight we're going to eat dinner at the house of some donors.  These are the same people that had the whole team over for a barbecue.  They have a few players come over and eat throughout the whole year.  They really make an effort to get to know everyone which is really great.  

Tyrel has another game on Sunday in France, again.  The game is a lot earlier than the last one and they will probably leave in the morning.  I'm glad it's not another late game; hopefully, he'll get home at a decent time.  I think this is the last "friendly" game before the regular season starts in October.  

I started reading "Night Circus" and it is really interesting.  I think I'm going to like this book a lot.  It's kind of weird but it's definitely up my alley since I'm a crazy Harry Potter freak :D  I'm not that far into it but it has really held my attention so far.

Hope you all have a great weekend!  

Lots of love.

3 comments:

  1. I am super impressed how well the both of you are adapting already especially with the language & shopping challenges :) heck - the boys had shopping challenges here in the states!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried to Skype Ty today during lunch, no answer. This has been a busy week with parent teachers conferences the last two nights. Thanks so much for keeping us all posted on the events in your life. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently found your blog and have really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Tell Tyrel I said hi! ~JR

    ReplyDelete