Friday, September 9, 2011

Bipolar Cooking Experiences; Sugar, Spice, & Everything Nice; Nostalgia

Is it Friday already? I don't know how my weeks fly by so quickly when I really don't do a whole lot!

After I posted Wednesday, I had some interesting events....mostly related to food.  Are you all seeing a theme here? Food...food...FOOOD. That's my life over here in Belgium as a housewife.

So Wednesday, I made the inevitable pasta and chicken with cream sauce (eaten most days of the week).  Well.....this happened:


I turned my back to put the milk in the fridge and I hear a nice big clang.  Cream sauce...everywhere.  It splattered all over the place and the pan got dented.  The woes of a tiny little stovetop.  Apparently, I didn't get it cleaned up too well since I found a chunk of garlic stuck to the cupboard today.  Fantastic :] It will be getting a good scrubbing tomorrow. 

Some of you may know I get flustered easily, so a pan of sauce on the floor is not good.  But....after I restrained myself from throwing my pan out the window, I was able to finish dinner and later that evening worked on some therapeutic dessert :]  

At the time, I didn't really have any sweets in the house besides Ty's gummy, sugary, kiddy candy :D haha So I made NUTELLA ROLLS.  I didn't have any cinnamon or brown sugar...so I scrounged up the best thing I could.

I find baking bread relaxing...it's what I needed.  You are about to be bombarded with food pictures; brace yourselves.    

Beautiful.


Action shot.  Check it.

Getting beautiful for me.

I may or may not have put dollops of butter on top when they came out of the oven.  But I'm not telling.

Nutella Roll Heaven.

I thought they were pretty good and Ty seemed to like them.  For me, they needed some frosting; they weren't sweet enough.  I guess that's why I put a spoonful of sugar on top before I microwaved it today :s Ty's gummy candies just aren't cutting it on the sweets department for me :]

But today we found another grocery store.  It is awesome.  It is really nice and has a lot of great selection.  It isn't as cheap as Culruyt, but Delzhaize has a lot of food Culruyt doesn't carry.  For example, I found tortillas there!  I wasn't too worried about that, though, because I can make tortillas.  And they had some more ingredients for Asian food.  So party!  AND I also saw brown sugar for the first time.  I didn't pick any up THERE, buuuut, that amazing husband of mine spotted some at Culruyt tonight.  Now, I can make cinnamon rolls and live in peace.  Belgium just got a little bit better :]

The brown sugar kind of looks like it should be Chili seasoning ha But I smelled it...totally smelled like pure, amazing, dark brown sugar :D

The other day, Ty and I treated ourselves to some ice cream.  We went to the same place we went one other time and I think that guy that helped us recognized us.  We may have to always go there so we can get some ice cream deals ;]

So you know how EVERY car here is practically miniature?  The other day (ice cream day) we saw a GMC truck that looked like it was straight out of Kansas!!!  It was all sorts of hick-ed out.  Ty and I were a little surprised;  I thought it was great because I felt like I was at home for just a minute :]  Now if only I would have had my camera to take a picture.  That's pretty much the only truck I've seen around here.  There have been these weird Mitsubishi trucks that don't even look like trucks around the town, and also the occasional Range Rover, but I don't blame people for their tiny cars when gas here is ridiculous.  

Tomorrow, Tyrel has a basketball game in Liege and one also on Sunday.  It's really not that far away but I won't be able to go, again :(  Too bad I can't pull a Marty from Back to the Future and glide along the bus on my hover board.  And if you don't know what I'm talking about, you HAVE to go watch Back to the Future IMMEDIATELY.  We had the movies recorded from tv when we were little and I think my brother wore them out.  

We also got our shower fixed yesterday.  Now I won't have to worry about flooding the apartment every day.  We even bought another shower curtain and accidentally matched it.  Look at us go.

I would like to point out how black and white photos make everything look better.  Even our ghetto view from our apartment :]  And is it just me or is it strange that there could possibly be parking garages on top of a building?  Maybe, it's storage.  Who knows. Still weird.

Hope you all have a great weekend!  Let me know if you get to do anything exciting :]

Lots of love.

8 comments:

  1. Ah sister, you crack me up. I won't tell you about my attempt at baking last weekend. Instead of cooking every night, I think you need to go try a restaurant STAT! Have a good weekend too and tell Tyrel good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - you really need to get on Gmail more so we can chat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need these: http://style.mtv.com/2011/09/08/nike-mag-back-to-the-future/

    ReplyDelete
  4. if no one witnesses the butter....it never happened. Just a little tip. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those rolls look yummy!
    My friend who has just moved to the us from poland has just posted pictures of the bread she made yesterday. I guess I better bake something this weekend.
    Maybe you could take a bus to Liege: http://www.infotec.be/index.aspx?PageId=633023143392127686

    ReplyDelete
  6. JESS YOU ARE THE BEST...i CANNOT WAIT TO GET HOME AND CHECK MY FACEBOOK JUST TO FIND YOUR BLOGS...HONEY PLEASE KEEP A jOURNAL OR AT LEAST KEEP THESE BLOGS...OH WHAT WONDERFUL MEMORIES YOU ARE MAKING...ENJOY THE MOMENT...YOU HAVE A HIDDEN TALENT FOR WRITNG SO THAT OTHERS CAN ENJOY.........LOVE GRAMMA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are too stinkin cute Jess. I miss you a lot. It was great chatting with you the other day, can't wait to hopefully see you in November!!! Let me know how I can be praying for you!
    ~jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess,

    Was great chatting with you this morning, Mom & I are thoroughly enjoying Colorado Springs. We are actually in Cascade and went on the Pikes Peak Cog Rail today. Temp way 30 degrees up top, but what a view. Tomorrow ill be another adventure. Wish I could have some of your ho bread. I miss that and of course the choclate chip cookies! We'll probably talk to youe in the AM.

    Love Pappa!

    ReplyDelete