Friday, August 26, 2011

Waffles...FINALLY!, knock-Nutella, and Laziness

Heeeeey, everyone! Hope you all are gearing up for a great weekend.  I know Tyrel and I are ready!!! Tomorrow he doesn't have conditioning at 8, so he doesn't have to get up as early, and it's only morning practice! YAY!! And he doesn't have to practice on Sundays :] I'm sure he, and his body, are ready for a little break.  We'll also get to enjoy a music festival right outside our door this weekend (http://www.fiestacity.be/2011/) ...hopefully, we get out and about and actually DO enjoy it so I can take some pictures :]

Yesterday, I went across the street and read The Help on a bench next to the little river.  I finished the book...fantastic.  If anyone wants to talk about it with me, feel free to!  I am getting ready to start up on Redeeming Love; it has been highly recommended by so many people and I've been meaning to get it for a long time now.  Lucky me, I have lots of time to read now :] Anyways...I took some pictures outside to give you all a feel of where we are.  Now remember, we aren't in the countryside of Belgium, we're pretty much smack-dab in the middle of the city, Verviers.  Not everything in the city is as pretty and lush as the rest of the country.

Here's walking along the side of what I've been calling the river. Don't mind the 2 people on the left...PDA must be highly-accepted here.

This is looking to the left and back a little.  Kind of looks sketch, but it's not.  The buildings here are just sooo old.  

Here's another picture with the same view from the first...the guys on the right side further down kept cat-calling in french.  Good thing I can't understand anything but "mademoiselle!"  
Gorgeous church just down the road.  This isn't the one we'll go to that speaks english, but it's not far from it! I mapquested it (finally found out what our address was to the apartment) and it's only a couple blocks away. Also, notice the clouds...it rains SOOO much here!

Not sure why I added this...maybe to show you it's not all glamour here haha 
Anyways, I only took a few pictures because I really wanted to finish my book and didn't want to walk around all touristy at the moment.

So the first day here, I was starving and Tyrel was at practice and we didn't have any food except for what the team put in the kitchen (water, milk, nutella, fruit, and waffles).  I've heard sooo much about the waffles so I had to have one.  The waffles here come with the syrup actually inside of them; sort of mixed in with the batter before it bakes I guess.  When Tyrel first saw them, he was like "But everyone is eating them PLAIN!" I had to explain to him the syrup bit (I didn't know that before, except that Stacey Moddie mentioned it, but I didn't know pretty much ALL of them were like that!).  Anyways, the first day, I felt the need to load up on calories since I didn't know when I'd get real food, so I ate half of it with Nutella on it.  The waffles are really good by themselves, since the syrup is mixed into them, but not bad with the Nutella.  It's a little sweet for me (who would have thought!?) to have them together, but Tyrel LOVES it! I mentioned he tried Nutella the other day, and he decided he was going to eat it on his waffle, too.  So last night after dinner, we had waffles and Nutella for dessert.
I haven't had any of the fresh ones from the stands, yet.  I've only had the ones from the store and they are still pretty dang good!  I can't imagine what the fresh ones are like.  It's funny that Tyrel and I haven't even had them! But here are our waffles, real Nutella, and the huge jar of knock-off Nutella we bought.  (By the way Katie S., the store-brand here is carrefour like the store you talked about in Spain! I had it wrong when I told you something else the other day).  The knock-Nutella was a lot cheaper than the real stuff, so Tyrel and I bought that at the grocery store yesterday.  However, we decided that while it's good, it's definitely not as good as the real stuff.  I guess we'll have to splurge!

 Tyrel doesn't like soggy waffles so we toast them in the oven because we don't have a toaster.  Our microwave also seems to nuke waffles really quickly and I always end up burning myself when I eat them.  So here is our ideal method of heating up those little bread-y delights.
And here's my partially eaten waffle. 
Of course, it has to be washed down with funky-tasting boxed milk that can be kept on shelves and not in the fridge if it hasn't been opened! (BLUGH, don't think I'll get used to that taste!)

So there you go, you got lots of pictures you didn't even ask for. haha

A lot of you may know that I have a semi-addiction to food blogs.  If you go to foodgawker.com, it has pictures posted from all sorts of food blogs...this always seems to give me another blog to look up when I'm bored, but it always makes me so hungry! Anyways, today a lady posted something about real, authentic belgian waffles.  She mentioned that real Belgian waffles are made with yeast instead of quick-rising baking powder...very interesting.  But I think someone needs to tell her the syrup goes on the inside and not the outside! :] That makes a real Belgian waffle to me, now.

Speaking of waffles, while I haven't actually eaten a ton of junk food and bad stuff here (I STILL haven't had any Belgian chocolate, but we'll fix that soon and I'll have a review for you) I do need something to keep me active.  My mom is going to send me my old workout videos soon, but I need something to do before those come in.  I'm still not as familiar with the area as I'd like, so I'm not that comfortable running by myself, yet.  Does anyone know of any websites that offer free workout videos online that aren't super cheesy? I've looked a few websites up but didn't know if anyone had any recommendations; let me know if you do! :]

So the other day, when I was trying to figure out my washing machine, I stumbled across a video that just made my day! While the video was actually not helpful or great in the least bit (it was kind of annoying) there was a bit of home placed in it! The video was of a British lady showing you how to use your washing machine (I thought it was going to show me how to use a European washing machine, not how to wash clothes in general!) But 17 seconds into the video, there was a KU sweatshirt!!!!!!! It made me so excited and happy; who would have know that a Jayhawk would have made it into a British laundry guide...here it is for yourself if you're interested:


Well that's enough for today! I've given you pictures and a video, so enjoy :] Have an awesome weekend!!!

Lots of love.

8 comments:

  1. It does look green and beautiful there. Can't wait for Dad and I to come visit. By the time we get their Ty and you will know your way around. Enjoy your weekend together. Love you SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess,

    Loved the pics and the story. What an adventure! Mom and I cancelled Aruba. We are now Belbium bound and Mom finally filled out her passport info! Keep us informed loved the blog and will try to Skype you tomorrow morning.

    Love You!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Waffles look delish...can't wait to hear how the real -off-the-street ones are and how church goes on sunday...SO glad to hear it's so close :) YAY that it's Carrefour off brand because hopefully that means there is one semi close to you and it is like a walmart store!!! I can hear the hallelujahs now!!!!! Hope to skype again soon, praying for you, friend! -katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHH!!! I just googles Verviers Belgium Carrefour and there are like 4 of them in your little city!!! YOU HAVE TO GO ASAP! It made me realize I could make it, lol...it will be so amazing! -katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's the same as the Carrefour we had in Caceres they have some american things like heinz katsup, bbq sauce, american mustard, american cereals (like cheerios), and some old el paso stuff :) I remember the first meal i 'made' in our apt was just an american style sandwich on wheat bread with sliced turkey breast, colby jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion with mustard and not a heaping glop of mayo. ahh, the simple things in life, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog now has more followers after the big Hickey 50th Anniversary Celebration. So enjoyed seeing your faces the other day when we Skyped. We are saving our pennies to come and see you!!
    Love you so much!
    Mama Reed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you seen a "patisserie" in town? French pastries, breads and rolls are so delicious! And they are different from the American sweets and breads. After 16 years in this country, I still don't like the American bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's on my to-do list! I'm soo excited to try all the different breads and pastries...but they're my downfall! I'll have to pace myself and only allow so many a week ;]

    ReplyDelete