Thursday, August 25, 2011

Revelations, Funky Asian, and Towels

Sorry I didn't post yesterday.  I usually like to post at night before bed, but last night I just wanted to hang out with Tyrel and read.  I've been reading the book "The Help".  I was watching a movie in theaters and saw the preview for the movie they created and a friend of mine said how much she loved the actual book.  I'm a little over half-way through right now and it is really great.  It's basically set in the 60's when a lot of civil rights movements were happening; one white lady who has very typical upper-class white friends is fed up with the way African-Americans are treated and wants to write a book from their perspective of working for white people.  It's such an interesting book and I can't wait to watch the movie! Has anyone out there read or watched "The Help"?


The weather here is very beautiful.  It can sometimes rain a lot but it makes everything so green.  I think today it's supposed to be a high of mid-70's.  I'm really sorry for everyone enduring the 100+ degree weather right now.  That's definitely not fun.  However, while it may top out at 80 here, I think it gets even more humid here than in Kansas.  It gets up to at least 80% humidity; when I went to the store the other day it felt like a big, hot, wet blanket was thrown on me even though the temperature wasn't that high.  But I'm definitely not going to complain when you all are having heat advisories.  The nice modern amenity you guys have to combat the heat is air conditioning.  Tyrel and I realized (more like noticed) that there isn't AC ANYWHERE here in Belgium.  They may have it at the grocery store but I'm not sure.  No apartments or buildings have it and Tyrel's gym doesn't have it.  Neither did the Fieldhouse so maybe that got him prepared for this.  No one uses it when they drive around either.  I've also searched for a thermostat in our apartment and haven't found one.  I'm guessing we won't have control over the temperature when they turn the heat on when it starts to get cold here.  Hopefully they don't wait until it's 20 degrees! haha


Yesterday, Tyrel and I went to a store called Wibra.  It's sort of like the discount store here in Belgium.  We had to get random things for the apartment like kitchen sponges (which is something I hate...they gross me out), food storage containers, and towels.  This whole week we've been here we didn't have any towels, we had to use shirts when we showered. haha But anyways, it was really nice to find that store because I found a lot of stuff we will need later that is really a lot cheaper than the grocery store.  I'll probably have to go back later and get some more towels for Tyrel to take to practice since they don't supply them.  


Thanks to some logical reasoning and my friend, Katie, the whole oven ordeal is worked out!  I love to cook Asian cuisine, or what I think is Asian cuisine; my sister-in-law makes the BEST food!  But like I said earlier, they just don't really carry the ingredient selection to make all my favorites.  I couldn't find hoisin sauce, let alone peanut butter! I haven't found that anywhere.  I do love Nutella but you can't exactly use that in savory dishes like you can with peanut butter (speaking of Nutella, Tyrel tried it for the first time yesterday and really liked it! It's sooo good; if you haven't tried it you should.  This means you too, Dad; even if it looks gross).  But I made chicken drums (they're the cheapest chicken pieces here) that I marinated and tried to throw together a stir-fry (but with noodles because Ty likes them better than rice).  Pretty much the only Asian-style sauces I could find at the store were soy and sweet chili so all I could use was soy! I should have known to not even attempt to make something with such few choices, but I was determined.  The chicken was pretty good, but I think next time I'll take the skin off.  I think the Belgians raise chickens with thicker skin, it was kind of gross.  Buts the noodles....eh.  I didn't think they were that good, but Tyrel said they weren't bad.  He is so awesome, whenever I apologize for something I don't think is up to standard or as good as I'd like it to be, he is really sweet.  He'll say, "Don't apologize for making me food" and stuff like that, so it makes me feel better and he's so grateful.  I just love cooking and hate when something fails (I don't like failure, either).  


Ty has really been so positive here in Belgium.  I was down the other day after I went to the grocery store and got frustrated with not finding everything I wanted nor understanding some stuff.  He said it wouldn't be any fun or an adventure if it was easy all the time.  He likes a challenge and likes when things are a little bit rough.  Must be why he chose me ;] haha But it really makes a world of a difference being with someone who takes those challenges in stride and doesn't whine or fuss about them.  It changes my attitude and makes me want to be a little tougher.  


I might try to enjoy such a nice day and go hang out by the little river-thing running through the city across the street from our apartment.  Tonight, I'll probably make Tyrel's favorite dish...chicken alfredo.  I went to the store and took some pictures of the different creams (crème) that I saw so that I could figure out which one was heavy cream.  Crème Entière is heavy cream and Crème Legère is light cream.  I'm sure the market here has really great parmesan so I'm excited to make his favorite dish (even though I've made it a million times).  


I want to thank everyone for all the prayers and words of encouragement! I feel so love (as I'm sure Tyrel does, too) from everyone.  It has really helped me to hear "been praying for you" and "keep your head up, it'll get easier".  So thank you all so much!


Lots of love.

12 comments:

  1. Just remember, don't let perfect be the enemy of great! Yes, you should definitely enjoy some nice weather outside. The vitamin D is good for you. However, I'm not complaining about the hot weather...I love it! Yup, I'm kind of sick like that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resist the "good wife" guilt. When I mess up a meal I feel like I'm failing as a wife but Nate says the same thing Tyrel does. We don't have to perform to be loved. :) It's fun reading about your adventures. Are any of the signs there in English too? Or are you going to be really good at French?
    —alyssainnashville

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are on the up swing.....Things will get better everyday and more confortable..
    I'm glad that Tyrel is so positive....That helps.
    I'd like to make a suggestion...For some reason the blog is kind of hard for me to read...I don't know if it is the background or the size of the print.....A little help please...Ha Ha....I love you.....We will dtalk soon......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica, I love reading your blog...it's so fun! I do the same as you and other wives, if a meal isn't as good as I hoped I get disappointed and my attitude at the meal changes. Instead, of being positive while we eat and catch up together I'll sometimes dwell on the perceived failure. Since I like to cook and people know that about me I feel like I have this high standard for myself when I make something. I'm sure you are the same! Of course, like Tyrel, Mike likes everything and thinks its great. As silly as it sounds, it's okay not to be perfect all the time, that's what Mike has to tell me and I try and tell myself! haha. Enjoy your adventure! - Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on a waiting list at Half Price Bookstore for "The Help" ... you'll have to let me know what you think when you're finished reading it!

    Stay positive - living in another country is hard, but you'll adjust and someday look back at it as some of the best memories you've made. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the book "The Help" and just saw the movie last night with my mama :) would have been a perfect you, me and stephy movie but we're all in different places =( Miss you to pieces and loooove your blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did some searching and it looks like IKEA is only about 26 minutes from you :) Check out this site http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_ikea/facts_and_figures/ikea_group_stores/belgium.html

    I mapquested all of the stores and the last one on the list is the closest one to you. If you google search Verviers Belgium IKEA it's the same on that pops up as point A. You may want to write down the location and ask the coaches wife on Sunday :) Started collecting some little things for your care package...hoping to get it out and that it will get to you by the end of next week!!!

    Did you get Redeeming Love yet?? Praying for you guys! - Katie S :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! Here is the actual link for the Hognoul IKEA store...the address is at the very bottom of the page, so if you know your address you can mapquest it :) And if you know the address of the basketball office...you can...message it to me, lol!

    http://www.ikea.com/be/fr/store/hognoul

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Headed out to see Grandpa and Grandma Hickey for their 50th wedding anniversary!!! I'll tell them hey from the both of you.

    Love ya - Mama Reed

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did read "The Help" and have seen the movie twice. I may see it a third time with the girls. I saw it on our anniversary with Stacy and in Dallas with Virginia. I will own the movie when it comes out on DVD. The book is always better than the movie, but the movie was very close.

    Don't be so hard on your cooking...he put up with my cooking for many years. I'm sure your worst beats my best!!

    I'm so glad I got my blog fix today. Save all your posts, I see a book in the making!!! Well at least a journal to share with your babies one day.

    Love and miss you both.... Mama Reed

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's why we had such a bad stove last year Jess. Got you prepared to cook with anything. Too good haha. Tell your Hubby Sept. 30th is a big day. And if he has a preseason game I mean along with that haha. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully as you get to know the town better, you will be able to find some of the groceries that you need for your recipes. When you get the car, you may venture out to bigger cities that seem to be not very far away. That might help too.
    Not sure about peanut butter - I don't think it is popular in Europe.
    I would check the refrigerators in the grocery store - they may have milk in bottles there.

    ReplyDelete