Saturday, August 20, 2011

Just Another Day in Paradise

I'm sure you were all expecting the next post to be about our fabulous travels and how awesome the morning air of Belgium is and all that great stuff...but guess what!

We're STILL in the fabulous state of KANSAS! We have been blessed to spend another day in the good ole U.S. of A.  Unfortunately, it was spent in an airport.  

Our flight at 1:15 to Chi-town got delayed because of weather and then there were some sort of mechanical issues with the plane that they couldn't get fixed right away.  While I'm super bummed we didn't get to fly out today and I got to spend fabulous time finishing a book in Gate 12, I feel the Lord was looking over us and all the other disgruntled travelers.  There are reasons we couldn't take that flight and he held us back; I'm thankful we didn't get on the plane and THEN they realize there were mechanical problems.

However, my parents have a different theory (and I feel it may be true! haha).  They think our dear friend, Curt, orchestrated this whole situation just to spend another day with us.  How sweet of you, Curt James!  So here we are right now, watching some soccer on American tv channels.  

The funny thing is that I'm completely exhausted from doing nothing...just sitting in an airport today! At least I had a delicious chocolate chip brownie LaraBar to snack on and give me a small bit of energy. Those things are AMAZING.  I'm not sure how they stack up to Belgian chocolate yet, but any snackbar that tastes that great and has natural, good ingredients in it gets a gold star in my classroom.  

Now we're supposed to fly out tomorrow morning and into New York and have a 4 hour delay and then fly straight to Brussels.  I think we should have been bumped up to first class for tomorrow, but I didn't think of it until after we left the airport.  Too bad Tyrel didn't work any of his charm on the guy helping us switch our flights (he was even from Lawrence!).  All well, I guess I'll settle on being happy we get to live in Belgium :] If we ever make it. 

I'm banking on Curt making us some authentic Belgian waffles to send us off in the morning.  I'm sure they are exactly the same as the ones we'll be eating here shortly.  It's so nice we have a friend here in Kansas City that was able to pick us up and will take us back in the morning.  We probably could have stayed in a hotel or something but that would have been kind of boring.  Plus, we get to see the BFF one last time before we leave! WOO! 

Anyways...hopefully the next time I'm back here we'll be frolicking in Belgium...or something like that.  

1 comment:

  1. praying for you guys, jess...one extra day in the u s of a is kinda sweet since you got to spend it with a friend you won't see for a while. excited to hear how it is on the other side of the ocean!! _katie simien :) I'm posting as "anonymous" bc i haven't quite figured out this whole blog following thing yet. i thought i signed up with yahoo, but now that isn't an option when commenting...??

    ReplyDelete