Saturday, December 3, 2011

There's No Place Like Home: Travel Recap, Celebrations, FOOOOOOD

So, as the majority of you know, I have been home since the beginning of November (partial reason for why I haven't written in over a month :s).  I came home to visit family and attend my brother's traditional Laos wedding.  He married at the beginning of the year with a super cute and totally awesome home ceremony.  He and his wife wanted to incorporate some of her traditions and decided to have a Laos wedding this November.  I was originally going to stay only 2 weeks, but when Ty and I realized we'd be able to come home for Christmas, we decided it was silly for me to keep flying back and forth.

But we'll get into more details of that in a little bit.  I want to recap the last month....sorry you guys aren't getting any awesome Belgian news!  Might as well change it to "The Wheat Chronicles" for the day.

Before I left, I decided I'd try to help Ty out a LITTLE bit and leave some food for him.  Ty had an away game the day before I left so I spent the day cooking/baking.  I can't even imagine how much flour I went through.  I made about 16 pita pockets, 2 dozen apple cinnamon muffins, 2 dozen nutella rolls, 2 big gallon bags of cooked chicken, lasagna, and barbecue chicken pizza.  He recently informed me that the nutella rolls didn't even make it 2 weeks :] haha At least I tried!!!

Just making some nutella rolls....no biggy

So that night, I didn't get to sleep until about 3 because I was still trying to clean my colossal mess of a kitchen, do last minute laundry, and pack stuff I forgot the first time around.  Lucky me, we got to wake up at 6!  I got up for breakfast and didn't really know what to do.  I wasn't really hungry, but come on, I just woke up....I had to eat something!  We left about 6:45 and drove through the thickest fog I had ever seen.  It was crazy; I'm lucky to be married to such a safe and confident driver.  We were driving at about 75 mph and people were FLYING past us like we were driving 45.  Even though we had my GPS up and running, the fog caused us to miss an exit (no biggy, we lost 3 minutes haha).  It took us about 75-90 minutes to get to Brussels; I can't really remember, though.

We got to the airport about 3 hours early and I'm so glad we did.  I was also a little bit nervous because this was the very first time ever flying alone.  Ty was great navigating around and finding the right parking place and then we had to figure out how to get to the actual airport from where we were.  We walked around and found a little tram to get us there.  It was confusing at first trying to figure out where in the airport we needed to be and we couldn't exactly ask any random person that walked by, but we finally found the United line and got me checked in.  Luckily, the attendants speak English and are very friendly.  Unfortunately, after I got my bags checked, Ty had to leave :( He couldn't go any further into the airport with me.  We found the line for customs, which was ridiculously long, but Ty snuck me onto the side and into a possible made-up (and not fair!) line so that I didn't have to wait forever.  I was really sad watching my husband walk away knowing I wouldn't see him for at least another 4 weeks. 

While standing in line, I heard this guy start speaking...it took me a while to realize someone was speaking in English to me!!! Not going to lie, it made me so relieved to have someone that spoke English in line right next to me.  I can't remember his name now, but he was extremely nice.  He coaches hockey in France but his family lives in Canada.  He gave his team a week or two off and was going home to visit his family for a little bit.  He probably got annoyed with me because I talked his ear off like nobody's business.  We got to talking and we were getting closer to the customs check-in and he had to use the restroom.  Now you know how they always have those announcements in airports not to watch anyone's bags for them? Yeah, I was totally that girl.  I was like "yeah, sure! No problem".  I almost kicked myself right after that.  How dumb am I? Really? I'm in a different country where my language isn't predominately spoken and I said I'd watch a stranger's bags?  Do I WANT something to happen and get in trouble?  I totally started freaking out and getting paranoid. haha But he came back and I didn't end up transporting narcotics for someone.  Lesson of the day: just tell them to take the bag with them.  But he was a really nice guy and I'm so glad that I had someone to talk to to make the time go by quickly.

After customs, I had to pick out some shirts for my nieces.  I was hoping to find an "I <3 Belgium" shirt, but to my disappointment, I had to settle for other ones.  

I then had to go through security.  I had a monstrously heavy back pack and an equally heavy small duffle bag to take with me.  I'm not going to lie, all that weight and walking around was making me super hot.  When I went through security I was randomly chosen for a body check.  Of course.  I felt so bad for the girl checking me because I was so hot haha And for some reason a hole punch (that I didn't know was in my bag) kept setting off the machine so they had to put it through several times.  Great.  

By the time I got everything packed back into my carry-ons (and trust me, it was a TON of stuff) and found my gate, I only had like 45-60 minutes until my flight left.  So I'm really glad Ty did his research and found that it's best to arrive at the airport 3 hours early for an international flight in a different country.  There was a man sitting across from me waiting that had on some of the craziest shoes I have ever seen on a man.  They were teal, suede, dress booties that had the pointiest toe.  I figured since we were close to France that everyone would have great fashion sense.  Not so much.  Overall, Belgium hasn't impressed me in the fashion department.  Send me to France, please.

My flight from Brussels to Chicago really wasn't TOO terrible.  While it is 9 1/2 hours long, I slept about 4 hours thanks to the night before.  I even got to move into the "economy plus" section and have 2 seats to myself!  The first hour of the flight I slept sitting straight up and then a really nice flight attendant told me there were 2 seats up ahead.  This plane was pretty nice but definitely not as awesome as the plane we flew out on.  The first plane had big tv screens in the back of the seats and you could choose pretty much any tv show or new movie to watch whenever you wanted.  This one had smaller screens and a set playlist of movies and shows that came on at a certain time.  I think I watched Harry Potter two or three times, but that didn't bother me!  These long flights mean you get food;  I got a hot meal of some weird looking pasta dish (it wasn't the best, but it was hot and something to eat) and then a cold sandwich lunch meal.  I really only had the candybar out of my lunch :D

I finally touched down in Chicago and was able to turn my phone on for the first time in a few months.  I was so excited to see American ground!  It is such an amazing feeling to be back in your home country.  Immediately, I received an email from United saying my flight was delayed.  I was really confused and called my mom to tell her the information.  I was sort of relieved at the time considering I only had about 1 hour and 20 minutes between flights.  However, when I was getting off the plane, I really felt like I should hurry around and not take my time.  I had a nagging feeling that something could be wrong.  When I got off the flight, I had to go through immigration and have my passport looked at and answer some questions.  I then had to go to baggage claim and get my luggage.  I was still hurrying around and trying to be quick.  However, my bags seemed to be the last ones off the carousal.  I grabbed my 5000 pound bags (ok, not really, there's a 50 pound weight limit for each!) and lugged them to customs.  I answered some more questions, luckily didn't have to have my bags opened, and ran down to get my bags rechecked.  When I checked them in I had an airport worker prompting me to hurry up and give her my bags, so that made me worry more about my plane.  After checking them in, I had to find the tram.  International flights arrive in terminal 5 and I had to take the tram to terminal 1 where united flies out.  It seemed to take forever and the tram seemed like it was 135 degrees in it.  I finally made it to terminal 1 and had to go through security AGAIN.  And guess what, I got body checked AGAIN.  Luckily, no problems with my carry-on bags.  My boarding pass didn't have what gate I was supposed to be at so I had to check the departure boards.  And hey, guess what!  My flight was ON TIME.  I had to run from gate C to gate B and find my plane.  Just as I ran up they were boarding.  I was a hot sweaty mess and had to ask this massive group of hunters if this was the right plane and if I was on time.  Thank goodness I did NOT mess around and take my time.  I called my mom and told her "JUST KIDDING!" and she and my niece packed up and raced to the airport (which is like a 2-ish hour drive away).

My flight to Kansas City seemed to take about 15 minutes.  I sat next to an older man who loved KU and talked my ear off the whole time.  The plane was completely packed so I was glad it wasn't extremely hot in there.  When the pilot made the announcement that we'd be touching down in Kansas City soon I wanted to cry tears of happiness.  I was SO excited to be home and see family.  While it's nice to skype and see their faces everyday, it's no comparison to getting a big hug.  I exited the plane and immediately saw my mom and niece, Destini, standing outside the waiting area with huge grins on their faces and hands waving.  I wanted to push everyone out of my way and run out to them.  But I decided to be mildly courteous and patient.  I gave my niece and mom a huge hug and immediately got teary-eyed.  My tear ducts and emotions have a direct connection...it doesn't matter if I'm happy, frustrated, or mad, the tears will be flowing.  We went to get my luggage and waited and waited and waited.  Nothing.  Finally, we went to ask for help at the desk.  My luggage missed my flight but was coming in on the flight that left Chicago at 5:30.  I figured this would happen since I practically barely made it and didn't care too much.  I had packed extra clothes in my carry on and I was coming home to tons of stuff I left behind!

The car ride home seemed to take about as long as my first flight.  I was starving, tired, and ready to see my family.  My brother (who is an AMAZING chef) made dinner and my second set of parents were coming over to see me, too.  I have to say, I was born into a pretty spectacular family, and I got lucky enough to marry into an equally awesome family.  It was so nice to see everyone and eat BEEF but I just wanted to crash.  I don't know how I made it up until 10:30.

It didn't take long to get used to the time change coming home.  It's a lot more difficult getting used to the time change going to Belgium. Coming home, I got here around dinner time and only had a little bit of day left.  Going to Belgium, you get there early in the morning and have a whole other day to get through!  However, that whole week I couldn't stay up past 8:30 and was up by 6:30 every morning (including the one after I got home).

So that was my totally (un)awesome and (un)exciting  recap of coming home.

My brother's wedding was indescribable.  I'm so glad I was able to be a part of such a wonderful and unique ceremony.  We even had family come from Rhode Island, again.  My Menard grandparents visited as well as my Uncle Pete.  All three of us siblings have been blessed to have all our grandparents attend our weddings this year (yes, all three of us got married in one year).  Here are some pictures I took during the day:

Me, Ry, and Erin dressed up and ready for the ceremony.  Ryan might kill me, but here he is in the traditional outfit the groom wears.  He had on a combination of parachute pants and a sumo diaper haha

The ceremony is actually held in the home and the family sits on the floor around them.  They have these 2 big decorative statue things (not really sure how to describe them :s) that are a part of the ceremony.  People also tie strings on their wrists and give them blessings.

Nay in her adorable little outfit! 

Ryan and Som during their first dance.  I'm sad he changed! haha

Ryan, Des, Nat (looking a little Raggedy Ann) and Som's nephew.  

I am so mad I didn't take more pictures during the whole day.  My family had to parade Ry into the house (the neighbors probably thought we were crazy) and he had to have his feet washed before he entered the house.  The whole ceremony was spoken in Laos so none of my family could understand it! Luckily, Som's sister was sitting right next to me and told me what to do :]

Thanksgiving was also amazing as usual.  My family knows how to cook and we know how to eat.  I contributed with a chocolate pecan pie.  I LOVE pecan pie so much I had it as my birthday cake one year.  I found a great recipe that uses pure maple syrup and brown sugar instead corn syrup.  It adds great flavor along with the sweetness.

That next Saturday we went to my cousin's house.  Jenn and Evan live and Manhattan (BOO!!) but I was extremely excited to go see them and little baby Amos!  Amos was born just a couple days before Ty and I left for Belgium.  I finally got to see him the day of Ry and Som's wedding, but I couldn't wait to get ahold of those chunky cheeks.  Everyone brought a bunch of different food and we all ate way too much...again.  I brought my super awesome chocolate-puff-snowquake-mana-cookies.  Everyone who tries them gives them a new name haha  I'm sort of the dessert girl around here. Not sure why, it's not like I even like sugar or chocolate.

Jenn, Mom, and Dad

People hanging out...Des cheesing it up

Ry and Som cooking!

Erin, Jenn, and Amos

People gathered around the table...

Ali, Des, and Candy

Another thing that's been great about being home is being able to watch the KU games.  I REALLY miss Allen Fieldhouse.  It's great that Ty is still playing ball, but really, what beats the Fieldhouse?  I think when Ty gets back we'll be able to go to a basketball game.  YAY!  He (we?) will also be really busy with a lot of book signings.  They're set up around Topeka, Lawrence, and Kansas city; we even have one going on at Hoover's (grocery store in town for those of you that don't know) some time while we're home.  I really hope a lot of people show up to get their books signed; it'll be great to see fans and the little kids who look up to Ty.  I feel like his great work ethic, heart, and morals make him a good role model for all those little Jayhawks out there.

For those of you who don't know, my brother does monthly 5-course dinners at Everything's Fabulous here in town.  He really gets to showcase his knowledge and creativity through all the amazing food he makes.  He puts so much effort and time into them and they are never, ever a disappointment.  In the past, I've gone and helped him with small things like chopping.  It does help him in the long run because he is able to focus on other things that really need his expertise.  This time, he called on me to make banana bread for his banana-bread bread-pudding.  He must have a lot of faith in me and my baking!  I was pretty excited to use the big, professional grade stand mixer.  I think I may need one in my kitchen some day.  But really, Ry is always encouraging and the whole dinner turned out magnificent.  So if you are looking for a great meal by an amazing chef, you really should check out the Everything's Fabulous page on facebook.  They update when there is going to be a dinner and what the meal will consist of.  

As of 11:29 on this Saturday evening, I will get to see Tyrel in 9 days!!! I am incredibly excited to see him.  It has been a long, rough 4 weeks being apart from him.  I may have to meet him at the airport with a Dr. Pepper and a burrito.  I'm pretty pumped we'll be able to celebrate Christmas with our families.  I even got us a little Christmas tree we can decorate.  I wanted pretty blue and gold decorations....but Ty got red and green.  I let him win this one ;]

I have definitely missed having delicious, warm waffles and decadent, creamy ice cream from the vendors.  Also, I miss just walking out of our apartment and walking around town.  I can't really do that here since my parents live right on a main highway.  Sometimes I catch myself wanting to say "merci, au revoir!" "une minute, s'il vous plait", "bonjour, ca va?"  Luckily, I haven't busted out any French on any unsuspecting cashiers or store attendants.  Ty said they have been putting out Christmas decorations like lights in the streets and everything; I can't wait to see pictures he takes!  It'll definitely be weird going back and getting back in a pattern after being home for so long without him.

Anyways, I hope you all have had happy and safe holidays!!! 

Remember to water your Christmas trees.

Lots of love.

(And a shout out to my biggest fan KYLE CROSS! hahahahh Just kidding...but for real.)

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the updates and we can't wait to see the both of you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillarious!!! You'll have to do a Christmas blog. It's been so nice having you home, can't wait for Tyrel to join you!! Love Ya -- Mama Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you little girlied....glad you're home....sad you've been with out your Boy....Can't wait to get together at Christmas!!!
    Nans

    ReplyDelete